Monday, August 16, 2010

Recent Learnings

First, my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 doesn't focus right up close. It close-focuses. When I adjust the D300's focusing system to work up close, then it far-focuses on far subjects. The problem is in the lens, not the body.

Second, I learned from Thom Hogan (Nikon shooter par excellence and camera gear writer) that the D3/D700 uses Nikon's first in-house developed sensor. I thought it was a Sony sensor. Nikon is rumored to be doing a new sensor for an upcoming "D4" body, and won't use the 24mp Sony sensor from the D3X, so Sony's rumored to be considering dropping full frame camera bodies completely. The A900 is out of production, and the A850, while still available, is not currently in production either. No idea what Sony's going to do for a replacement. Thom has some very good guesses on his website so look him up if you want to know more.

This news makes my upcoming camera purchase decision just that much more difficult. Will there be any A900/A850 bodies I can buy? Will there be a better "D700" coming out this fall? Will the new Sony A700 replacement be of sufficient quality and construction to tempt me to an APS-C sensor of 15.2mp?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment