Thursday, June 4, 2009

The 10th Amendment

Currently I'm a bit fascinated by the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. More specifically, I like the part where it says "The powers not delegated to the United States", meaning our Federal Government, "nor prohibited to it by the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

If Congress passes a law enabling nationalized health care, can I sue to refuse to pay into their system? Can I sue to refuse taxation on an employer-provided health plan if they term it "additional income"? If there is no Constitutionally-granted "nationalized health care" amendment, then any action taken by Congress on this matter, as I see it, is null and void on a personal level.

What if, collectively, the people actually PAYING taxes all signed on to the lawsuit as plaintiffs? If we all refuse to participate and let people not paying any taxes join up as they want, would that simply force the Federal Government into the direction of bankruptcy faster than they're already charging on their own?

I'm afraid I do not see where the actions of our elected Federal officials in any way benefit our great nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment